Date: Nov 25, 2018
Location: Houston, Texas, US
ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken unconventional play in North Dakota. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
This position is for an Exploration Geoscientist in Hess’s Exploration Gulf of Mexico (GoM) Regional Team. The Regional Team is responsible for the geological underpinning of Hess’s growing Miocene and Mesozoic portfolio with regional analysis. Work that supports the exploration and exploitation teams includes field analog studies, sub-regional interpretation and evaluation of hydrocarbon play elements and the integration of those elements to help extend plays and/or de-risk prospects. This position reports directly to the Exploration Manager, Regional Gulf of Mexico.
ROLE / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Basin scale regional 2D and 3D seismic interpretation integrating well logs and seismic stratigraphy when possible.
- Regional to prospect scale structural interpretation including tectonics, basement/crustal mapping, fault network mapping, fault seal analysis and various quantitative structural analyses
- Working knowledge of salt tectonic and deepwater depositional systems concepts to identify depositional fairways and predict reservoir presence on a play scale
- Working knowledge of stratigraphic, structural and petroleum systems data types for the purpose of integration, trend identification and phenomenon explanation/prediction
- Strong individual contributor and team player
- Effective project management, ability to multi-task
- Mentoring of colleagues and junior staff
- Active participant in partner TCMs with ability to influence operator with technical work and sound reasoning
- Additional duties could also include Lease Sale and data room evaluations support. Background and experience in structural geology is a plus.
- Minimum of 15-years experience
- Previous GoM experience is required; specific Exploration experience strongly preferred
- Experience and expertise to include: subsurface mapping, well-seismic integration, cross sections and fluid systems.
- The ideal candidate will have regional-play-prospect evaluation skills, display competence in salt tectonic regimes and possess both geological and geophysical interpretation experience.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills and commitment to continued learning and improvement.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Well developed sharing, listening, and collaboration skills are highly valued
- Comfortable with aggressive timelines
- Ability to manage projects with strong focus on delivery and results
- Petrel (or Paradigm)
- Microsoft Office
- Masters of Science, in a Geoscience field required
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Builds Trusted Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Creates Effective Teams
- Thinks Strategically
- Inspires Innovation
- Demonstrates Courage
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Makes Quality Decisions
- Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.