Date: Apr 9, 2019
Location: Ellesmere Port, CHW, GB
Company: Dover Corporation
Dover Precision Components delivers performance-critical solutions for rotating and reciprocating machinery across the oil & gas, power generation, marine, industrial, chemical and general processing markets. Comprising the Waukesha Bearings, Bearings Plus, Inpro/Seal and Cook Compression brands, our portfolio includes hydrodynamic bearings, active magnetic bearings, system and bearing protection, and reciprocating compressor valves, sealing technologies, pistons, rods and more. Each solution is custom-engineered to provide optimum efficiency, reliability and productivity, and backed by comprehensive aftermarket services. Dover Precision Components serves its global customer base through facilities in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, as well as technical sales representatives around the world. Dover Precision Components is part of Dover Corporation’s Fluids segment.
The applications engineer is responsible for the engineering and design content of projects & customer proposals for all assigned accounts. Performs all engineering calculations, expedite and process engineering changes. Direct liaison with customers for the resolution of technical matters as well as the development of products for customer projects. Responsible for interpreting design requirements and specifications and develop those into an engineered solution.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities of this positon fall into 5 main categories as detailed below
- Interpret customer enquiries into product solutions utilising Cook design standards and design tools to create customer proposal drawings & documents.
- Liaise internally with sales, supply chain, manufacturing when working on unique product solutions.
- Direct technical correspondence with customers to determine the scope of the enquiry and/or opportunity to ensure the optimal solutions are sought.
- Follow up on proposals with sales and report to the team during the daily review meetings.
- Create a package of work for the designers by interpreting the scope of work for new engineering job orders, clearing up any technical issues, assisting and instructing the designers, perform all engineering calculations, examine specifications, expedite and process engineering changes.
- As work load determines the drafting work is to be carried out to create 3D models and associated 2D drawings, item & BOM structure.
- Preparing the 2D drawings with necessary BOM & routing information to be loaded on the Syteline ERP system.
- Perform drawing checking duties on customer approval drawings as well as manufacturing drawings.
- Support manufacturing personnel with evaluations of deviated components, corrective action investigations and other quality related activities.
- Respond to customer concerns and resolve any technical problems to ensure that company products are working effectively and the customer is satisfied with the service provided. Provide feedback to relevant company departments to determine root cause / correct and preventive actions. Create customer reports as deemed necessary.
- Build and maintain an understanding of our manufacturing capabilities and standard design practices sufficient to produce the best-cost alternative for the customer and the company.
- Supports the engineering process development through LEAN principles and design for manufacturability efforts through specific assignments as directed by the Engineering Manager or Chief Engineer.
- Actively participle in the daily review of the VMS (Visual Management System) to aid the department flow of work to meet KPI’s
- Carry out other duties that may be required to meet the developing needs of our team and the business.
- Ensure effective liaison within the Engineering group to build and maintain consistently high engineering standards, and to drive relevant product development.
- Potential for up to 20% travel to customers sites across the UK and mainland Europe to support the business needs, including;
- Trouble-shooting technical issues
- Gathering technical information to allow for upgrade service opportunities
- Site supervison of product installation
- Technical training of our products
- Compressor health audits
- Any other duties required by the needs of the business.
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Contributes to risk assessments and safe working practices.
- Complies with all safety policies and procedures whilst actively participating in the efforts to create and maintain a Zero Harm work place culture.
- Support, submit and carry out Electronic Behavioral Based Safety Audits (EBBS) and safety/CI T-Cards – as required.
- Challenges non-compliant employees on safety policies and procedures. Reporting to senior management if necessary.
- Attends safety training courses as required.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures relating to quality.
- Checks own work for errors and takes responsibly for quality of work produced.
- Actively seeks out and identifies Continuous Improvement opportunities.
- Applies LEAN principles to improve productivity.
- Liaises with relevant departments as required.
- Actively participates in cross function projects to ensure that goals are achieved and solutions implemented.
- Works effectively as part of a team or using own initiative in a busy manufacturing environment.
- Actively engages in discussions and openly supports team decisions.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years relevant industry experience within the aftermarket. Experience with reciprocating compressors or rotating equipment preferred.
- Strong computer skills and attention to detail.
- Requires excellent customer contact skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as lead others.
- Good commercial / business awareness.
- Self-motivated / disciplined
- Problem solver / decision maker.
- Able to work in fast paced environment and handle multiple open projects at one time.
- Excellent interpersonal / presentation skills.
- Capable to make technical presentations at customers.
- Proficiency with MSOffice and Windows operating systems is expected.
- Eastern European languages would be advantage.
- Minimum HND (or BSc/BEng) in mechanical engineering or similar (degree preferred)
- Experience in the use of 3D CAD design packages e.g. Solid Edge. Experience using ERP systems e.g. Syteline.
- A broad understanding of mechanical engineering, including use of analysis tools.
- A site safety passport such as CCNSG or specific Oil & Gas related qualification an advantage
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or any other factors prohibited by law.