Altair ProductDesign is a global, multi-disciplinary product development consultancy of more than 700 designers, engineers, scientists, and creative thinkers. As a wholly owned subsidiary of Altair Engineering, Inc. (www.altair.com), this cross-functional organization is best known for its leadership in combining human and machine creativity to fuel innovation, automate processes, and develop new methods. Altair ProductDesign firmly advocates a user-centered, team-based design approach, and utilizes proprietary simulation and optimization technologies to help clients bring innovative, profitable products to market faster.
Job Title: CAE Engineer Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) – Engine Performance Development, Global Engine Engineering.
The CFD Section within Engine Engineering is responsible to deliver:
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Analysis to lead the functional development of the engine system air path, combustion, fuel spray pattern, exhaust, cooling, and lubrication systems.
- Deliver thermal maps of the engine to our FEA counterparts through conjugate heat transfer (CHT) analysis of the head, block, piston, and related components.
- Characterize the performance of water pumps using a turbomachinery approach.
- Predict air and fuel mixing using lagrangian methods with heat transfer.
- Characterize the performance of oil pan’s and piston cooling jets using a volume of fluid (VOF) approach.
- Interface with the larger engine program and component teams to develop the cylinder head, intake and exhaust manifolds, turbochargers, water jacket and coolant pump, fuel injector targeting/spray patterns, lubrication system, and combustion systems to meet program attributes related to durability, performance, fuel efficiency, and NVH.
- Support engine program milestones and attribute delivery through the use of appropriate CAE methods.
- Support quality and cost objectives through the use of appropriate CAE methods.
- Document the analysis with appropriate Design Analysis Report format.
- Effectively communicate analysis results, present conclusions and recommendations to a diverse audience in team meetings and to senior program management.
- Support methodology development objectives on core analysis requirements.
- The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience in automotive engine design using Computational Fluid Dynamics to optimize component design and support issue resolution.
- Minimum of a Master of Science (MS)
- Specialization in Thermal Sciences, Energy Systems with a focus on Fluid Dynamics and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) principles.
- Experienced user of StarCCM+ CFD code using automation and java scripting tools.
- Working knowledge of CATIA to prepare CAD geometry for CFD analysis.
- Working knowledge of 1D simulation codes.
- Knowledgeable in Java and Matlab preferred.
- Skilled in generating technical reports to document the analysis results.
- Able to present their work to senior management reviews in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and project management skills.
- Self-directed and highly motivated.
- Able to analyze and solve problems independently.
- Proven high level of written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Passion for engineering and product excellence.
- Six Sigma (Green Belt or Black Belt) experience preferred.
- Will consider candidates experienced with other CFD codes and non-engine CAE background.