Req ID 94467BR
Job category Commercial
Countries (State/Region) South East
Location United Kingdom – South East – London
Located offshore Caspian Sea in Azerbaijan, the Shah Deniz gas condensate field is BP’s largest ever gas discovery with 30 TCF of gas in place and the production of 8 bcma from the existing Stage 1 operations. Shah Deniz Full Field Development (FFD) will increase the production from field to over 20 bcma at plateau, enhancing BP’s position as the lead energy company in the region and enabling Azerbaijani gas exports to reach the markets in Turkey, Georgia and Europe.
In line with our gas marketing authorities, IST is supporting Upstream in delivering the Shah Deniz 2 project and Southern Gas Corridor by managing and operationalizing transit and gas sales agreements that were signed with European and Turkish counterparties in 2013 and by developing associated commercial arrangements, together with providing marketing support for existing gas exports. The team is working with key Upstream consortium partners on this activity and engaging with external stakeholders including gas buyers and transporters.
The IST team is led by Janet Jonas, Head of Caspian Gas Marketing, who reports to Jerome Fitzgerald (Head of Gas Value Chains in IST International Gas).
The Caspian Economic Analyst will be part of the analytical group that supports all the activities above (external and internal) to ensure consistency and integration and the role will report to the team leader of that group.
It is expected that the Caspian Economic Analyst will have expertise in Economic Evaluation Methodology (EEM) and will develop a deep expertise in midstream modelling and evaluation together with marketing and buyer analysis whilst being exposed to other IST commercial areas.
The role provides the opportunity to develop skills in Gas Value Chain development in relation to economics, risks, schedule, gas marketing, etc.
Prior experience in IST is not required. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with strong analytical skills and a desire to develop a solid foundation in the fundamentals of the gas business. You will gain broad understanding of all aspects of the gas value chain, deepen your knowledge of specific gas markets and broaden your connectivity across different parts of the company.
Job close date 28th December 2018, competitive salary applies
Key accountabilities include:
- Gas Marketing Assumptions and Shah Deniz economics: Coordinate the revision of the Marketing Assumptions which feed into the overall SD Gas Value Chain economic model including contractual commitments, pricing and tariff assumptions and lead the simplification of the pipelines and marketing modelling tools.
- Provide economic analysis following EEM rules and identify value protection or enhancement opportunities for BP and for Upstream consortium partner group and support the preparation of presentations and materials for internal and external audiences.
- Market and Buyer Analysis: Follow and report on developments in the Greek and Italian Markets. Produce a quarterly report identifying the areas that may lead to changes in project assumptions. Work with the analysts covering Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia to provide consistent reports.
- Internal Assurance: Coordinate the provision of IST’s support to E&P in areas such as Reserves valuation submissions, Marketing Assumptions for other future Upstream projects, etc. and ensure the accuracy and accessibility of the information into the shared drive.
- Provide input to Risk and schedule analysis, and external activities such as marketing inputs to underpinning the Shah Deniz economics. Participate in Tariff workgroups and provide support to both the Turkey and European Transit and Gas Sales teams to deliver commercial arrangements.
- Increase the Upstream knowledge in the IST team by preparing specialist sessions where Upstream areas are presented (PSAs mechanisms, portfolio of projects in the AGT region…).
Degree educated or equivalent.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Ability to run complex upstream and downstream economics for gas value chain projects in the AGT region (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey).
- Sound knowledge of gas markets in Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia including country supply/demand balances, key stakeholders and price dynamics.
- Previous exposure to gas development opportunities in the Caspian Sea.
- Good level of knowledge on the economics of gas projects in the AGT region (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey).
- Exposure to upstream development options in the Caspian Sea.
- Highly numerate with strong analytical and modelling skills together with good understanding of GIAPP & EEM.
- Ability to ensure consistency of approach.
- Ability to simplify complex issues.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- A keen team player who can also work on own initiative.
- Ability to meet consistently challenging and tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, multi-cultural, multi-stakeholder environment.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Energy market experience – experience in Upstream gas would be advantageous.
- Experience in preparing/contributing to AtN/FM proposals.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Additional language skills relevant to the Gas Value Chain.
Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
International Gas (IG) provides commercial support to BP’s Upstream in the development of major gas value chains, optimises BP’s European equity gas supplies, trades and markets third party gas and power, and trades and optimises equity and merchant LNG. IG also houses a Treasury Trading team who manage BP’s FX and money market activities. IG operates 15 offices around the world including London, Madrid, Milan, Huston, Singapore and Tokyo.
Integrated Supply & Trading