DIRECTOR, ENGINEERING IN WARREN, MA AT CIRCOR CAREER SITE
BUSINESS: Aerospace and Defense (A&D)
LOCATION: Warren, MA
DIRECT REPORTING: VP, A & D Warren
FUNCTIONAL REPORTING: Defense Engineering
CIRCOR International, Inc. designs, manufactures and markets differentiated technology products and sub-systems for markets including oil & gas, industrial, aerospace & defense and commercial marine. CIRCOR has a diversified flow and motion control product portfolio with recognized, market-leading brands that fulfill its customers’ mission critical needs. The Company’s strategy is to grow organically and through complementary acquisitions; simplify CIRCOR’s operations; achieve world class operational excellence; and attract and retain top talent.
CIRCOR Naval Solutions Division located in Warren, MA is part of the Aerospace and Defense segment of CIRCOR International. The Warren location includes pumps under the Warren Pumps® Brand and valves under the Portland brand. Warren Pumps started in 1897 and focuses on highly engineered and custom-built pumps made of a wide variety of exotic materials in both centrifugal and positive displacement technologies. Portland Valve products include a broad range of specialized valves for various shipboard services. Both companies focus on the Submarine, Carrier and Destroyer programs in a number of critical fluid applications.
The Engineering Director will lead an engineering team providing technical leadership for CIRCOR Naval Solutions Pumps & Valves. The scope of this role includes sustaining engineering, new product development and Research and Development for a $60M dollar business. While principally a mechanical product environment; new systems being derived include increasing levels of controls and instrumentation. This position will therefore suit someone with both mechanical and electrical expertise.
The successful candidate will be degree educated and bring real energy to the team to help transform the business. They will provide both technical expertise and the leadership skills to develop and grow the company engineering capability.
The Engineering Director is responsible for the planning, direction and delivery of all engineering activity and projects to meet the business plan time lines. The responsibly is primarily in Warren MA but includes two direct reports in our Monroe, NC plant. Regular travel to the NC plant is required.
Set goals to promote Company growth in conjunction with other members of the senior management team including; sales, finance, HR, Supply Chain & Operations. Participate in the strategic plan and business plan development and execution. Create a department strategic plan which complies with and supports the growth programs.
- Provide outstanding leadership to team members, including opportunities for coaching and development, to maximize work output and work quality
- Focus on new product development in line with market expectations
- Develop and implement plans to increase efficiency and reduce costs, continuously making improvements to existing systems and policies
- Make sure customer requirements are met in a timely manner, getting involved with external relationships where engineering input is required to maximize customer satisfaction
- Work closely with the leadership team, providing the engineering input and perspective to achieve business objectives
- Identify patterns and problem areas; and implement effective solutions
- Report regularly to the Vice President of Engineering (A & D) and the President (A & D) with responsibility for on-budget and on-time delivery of product and project outcomes.
- Promote and ensure safety in the workplace
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Recruit and develop a team of highly skilled engineers (across the engineering lifecycle and incorporating both mechanical and electrical expertise), ensuring the function is fit for purpose as the organization grows
- Mentor key engineers and identify requirements for skills enhancement
- Build the team to ensure they work to their full potential
- All aspects of people leadership including delivering appraisals and managing performance
- Demonstrable experience of operating at a senior technical management level within an engineering, manufacturing or technology-based sector
- Mechanical and Electrical expertise
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written and presentation capability
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
Education & Experience
- Requires a BSME degree, advanced degree preferred
- 15 years minimum experience in the design and development of mechanical assemblies & rotating equipment as it relates to high flow electrically driven pumps (centrifugal and Positive displacement) and specialty Valves.
- Knowledge of 3D CAD process is a must. Solid Edge and Solid Works preferred.
- Must have a working understanding of GD&T dimensioning
- Technical Writing – Acceptance Test Procedures, Design Reports, Qualification Test Procedure/Reports
- Hands-On Experience – Assembly, setup and testing, troubleshooting, laboratory testing
- Ability to comprehend technical information including drawings, specifications and quality requirements is required
- Knowledge of ERP systems required; Proficiency in MS Office/Word/Excel is required
- Must be able to meet tight deadlines, be detail oriented and highly organized
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Knowledge of Defense Industry and prior experience with DOD Contractor is a must.
- Knowledge of pumps, valves and ship systems and customers required
- Stress analysis – ANSYS/FEA knowledge is preferred as it applies to structural, CFD and acoustics.
- Manufacturing Practices (preferred) – Machining, Welding, Castings, Forgings, Testing, etc.
- Must be a US Citizen to meet US Defense requirements (including NOFORN), and willingness to obtain a DOD clearance
Proven experience in people management, strategic planning, risk management and change management
Demonstrated Strong leadership skills
Experience of building multifunctioning teams and processes across international/remote territories
CIRCOR is an EEO Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities