date: Jan 10, 2019
location: Houston, TX Texas, US
Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Earth Science Application Developer located in Houston, TX through January 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
This position is in the ETC Earth Science Strategic Research Unit on a team that is part of a multi-disciplined community of developers. It is for an experienced researcher/developer with extensive knowledge of Petrel/Ocean plug-in development. The successful candidate must be able to work on high-impact software projects as a principle researcher/developer and participate on other projects as a technical consultant that can guide internal or external resources. The candidate will have the opportunity to improve software development in the Earth Sciences department by championing programming standards and best-practices with a strong emphasis on important DEVOPS methodologies and tools. Candidate should have a solid background in software engineering and have strong domain knowledge in one or more areas of Geology, Geophysics, and Reservoir Modeling. Candidate must have experience with using Software Development Kits to enhance major platforms like Petrel with proprietary and differentiating capability.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with Earth Scientists to develop and deploy high-quality software components that can provide effective technical solutions to business problems in exploration and production.
- Collaborating with project teams that may include researchers, developers, technical support staff and testers.
- Coordinating and providing active QA/QC (quality assurance/quality control) to development projects staffed by contractors or external software companies.
- Acting as point-of-contact with major software vendors to report requirements and steer changes to software development kits that will enable proprietary development
- Rapid-prototyping of research ideas and proof-of-concept development.
- MS Degree or greater in Earth Science with strong Computer Science expertise
- Minimum 5 years Petrel Plug-in Development
- Expertise with complex math/physics algorithm development and advanced software engineering concepts such as design patterns, multi-threading, inter-process communication, cloud-native programming, and agile development methodologies including DEVOPS.
- Strong technical software engineering and earth sciences skills and the ability to train, mentor, and teach advanced concepts in software engineering including standards and best-practices.
- BS or equivalent experience in Computer Science
- Familiarity with and routine observance of software engineering methods including object-oriented design and analysis; source-code revision control; software quality assurance including unit, component, and regression testing; design reviews, code walkthroughs, coding standards; bug-tracking and problem resolution.
- Strong background and experience in technical software design and development for both MS Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Experienced with programming in C++ and C#. Experience with scripting languages like Python is a plus.
- Familiarity with many advanced concepts in Geology, Geophysics and Reservoir modeling including pre-stack seismic interpretation, stratigraphic interpretation with flattening techniques, seismic attributes, framework validation, volumetric uncertainty, pattern recognition, well-path planning, geo-body detection, properties modeling, etc.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.