11 Sep 2018
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, US
Job ID: 17567
Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
The Geophysicisist, is a leader who performs both basic and highly advanced integrated seismic interpretation in support of developing new play ideas, evaluating existing plays and drilling uncoventional plays across Devon’s portfolio. Develops “fit for purpose” workflows and works closely with geological, engineering and land professional staff utilizing knowledge of geophysicis and key play performance drivers to enhance overall play economics. Mentors a young but eager staff with “play concept vision” and the necessary subsurface workflows to investigate, refine, and / or cull inhouse or externally sourced opportunities. Helps deliver a finely tuned intepretation and concise recommendation for investment using the company’s financial guidelines at the time. Provides advice and recommendations to management as requested
Master’s degree in Geophysics preferred
Requires a minimum of 8 years of related industry experience in Geophysical interpretation
- Work with and create interpretation products from all common types of geophysical data (2D, 3D seismic, gravity, magnetics, VSP’s, microseismic) on the Kingdom geophysical platform. Able to work at all scales from pad to play to basin.
- Deliver relevant intrepretation products in support of play fairway analysis, drilling hazard identification and play sweet spot identification integrated with geological and well performance data.
- Beyond basic seismic mapping, able to generate, interpret, and integrate derivative products such as pre-stack attributes; velocity, pressure, stress, anisotropy volumes; inversions, and other advanced products/volumes
- Provide business case backed recommendations for additional geophysical acquistions programs, reprocessing or advanced geophysical work flow products
- Identify geophysical relationships critical to the integration of multidisciplinary information into the working subsurface characterization, especially geological data and interpretations
- Support drilling operation efforts. Provide geosteering and drilling hazard identification advice and work real time with geosteering professionals to optimize well landing and keeping wells in zone as required.
- Identify and advise risk mitigation options on all projects
- Effectively communicate the results of work to management, especially with new ideas or those that challenge the status quo
- Flexible, able to handle several concurrent projects, multi task, comfortable working independently or in a team setting
- Develop and support less experienced staff to enhance their skill sets, maximize their contributions, and prepare them for advancement into more senior roles
- Is an energetic people person who is passionate about the task at hand and who thrives working (and leading) in an integrated team environment to deliver opportunities for Devon’s growth and financial success
- Prior assignments demonstrate the ability to be a hands-on leader able to help drive projects to successful conclusions and create value
- Able to think strategically, using imagination and foresight to conceptualize potential problems and the skills to avoid those problems
- Practices safe work habits at all times
- Demonstrates commitment to Devon Attributes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Possesses strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in seismic acquisition and processing practices and workflows
- Strong computer skills with some exposure to multi variable statistical analysis techniques
- Knowledge in unconventional geologic data and petroleum system analysis, play characterization and probablistic methods, basic well log analysis and structural geology
- Knowledge of rock physics and rock mechanics
- Experience in horizontal drilling, completion, and simulation technology is preferred
Devon Energy is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. Applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the Devon Talent Acquisition Team atDiversity@dvn.com.
Nearest Major Market: Oklahoma City
Nearest Secondary Market: Oklahoma
Job Segment: Geology, Engineer, Statistics, Physics, Compliance, Engineering, Data, Science, Legal