JACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services, offering a full spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients. As part of that support, Jacobs has developed one of the leading and longest-standing geotechnical and tunnelling consultancy capabilities in the UK, with over 400 geotechnical and tunnelling engineers delivering practical and innovative solutions to ground-related problems.
We are continuing to grow our Ground Engineering team in Manchester, and are looking for people who have the passion and drive to add value and shape positive solutions for major projects across the Transportation, Utilities and Nuclear sectors.
As a Geotechnical Lead within the Ground Engineering team, you will manage a team of geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists, providing support and advice to the wider Jacobs business and clients as well as owning your projects. You will lead in the delivery of geotechnical input to projects and will also be required to provide technical guidance and support to less experienced junior engineers and technicians.
There will be opportunities for a wider degree of responsibilities and roles within the Ground Engineering team aimed at developing your career. The successful applicant will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Job responsibilities/ Accountabilities
You will manage a ground engineering team, integrating work with the Company’s wider global teams of geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists, tunnel engineers and geo-environmental specialists to ensure geotechnical designs are appropriate, meet required standards of quality and are delivered to programme. The priorities of your role will include:
• overseeing and assuring the team’s inputs to the planning, investigation, design, construction and post construction monitoring of geotechnical aspects of projects
• managing your own geotechnical projects and liaising with other project managers.
• monitoring and delivering geotechnical outputs to programme and budget
• mentoring of junior team members
• technical reviews and checking
• liaising with contractors and clients, both external and internal
• assist with bids (technical/commercial)
The ideal candidate will be a Chartered Engineer/Geologist with substantial post-chartered experience, you will possess and be able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
• A sound academic knowledge of civil and geotechnical engineering
• Competent in geotechnical design of foundations, slopes, earthworks, retaining structures, particularly for highways and maritime structures
• A sound knowledge of design codes and standards, including EC7
• A thorough knowledge of the processes of HD22/08 –Managing Geotechnical Risk
• Ability to work within commonly used forms of contract (NEC, ICC etc.). Competence in the Engineer role in ground investigation under ICC is desirable
• Strong communication skills with fluency in oral and written English
• Planning & organising skills
• Motivated to deliver output of high quality and to programme
• Commitment to professional and personal development of self and others
: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Manchester