Date: Oct 30, 2018
Location: Minot, North Dakota, US
ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in two key U.S. shale plays – the Bakken in North Dakota and the Utica in Ohio. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
Position would assume the responsibility of designing, engineering or supporting the needs of ND OT PCN assets. Becoming heavily involved with the convergence of IT and Industrial network efforts. That allows information technology (IT) and operational technology (OT) professionals to ensure that their current infrastructures are maximized. That develops a converged platform for flexibility that supports future business outcomes.
Job Role – A OT network engineer, also known as network architect, designs and implements highly available SCADA networks. Unlike network administrators, who perform day-to-day support, the network engineer focuses on high-level design and planning. Network engineers select the appropriate data communications components and configure them to meet user and corporate needs. Ensuring the complete integration of a highly available PCN network and utilizing the various types of LAN, WAN, Internet, or other technologies required. This work entails detailed network modeling and analysis.
Process Control Network Definition – (PCN) is a communications network that is used to transmit instructions and data between control and measurement units and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) equipment. These networks have, over the years, used many of the technologies and topologies utilized in other network applications. However, Process Control Networks (PCNs) have several special requirements that must be met in order for the solution to be acceptable to the industry. These requirements are, in no particular order: Robustness, Determinacy, and Compatibility. Robustness includes requirements such as connection redundancy, reduced sensitivity to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), and good error checking and correction. Determinacy involves assuring that each device is guaranteed access to the network, and in many cases mechanisms to allow priority information (such as alarms) through the system. Compatibility allows SCADA and Distributed Control Systems (DCS) from various manufacturers to communicate with control and measurement equipment from others.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design of PCN network projects for review by network administrator
- Core network hardware installation and configuration within PCN
- Define, document and enforce network standards for implementation projects
- Secure network by establishing and enforcing policies.
- Report network operational status by gathering data and monitoring activities
- Prioritizing information and new installation activities
- Troubleshooting network problems or outages, collaborating with admins on changes
Current Project Examples:
- IT/OT network segregation to meet security and operational requirements
- Manage OT IP address allocation for new projects and operations
- Data center PCD network strategy to accommodate SCADA needs
- Support new project or facilities design needs bringing into FEL process
- Network segmentation, redundancy routing and firewall implementation
- Assessment, network management and security remediation
- Radio network integration assessment, network management and security remediation
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Highly motivated self-starter willing to accept responsibility and accountability.
- Be able to recognize and solve problems.
- Actively participates in safety programs and initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work or mentor trades preforming installation work including Electrical staff.
- Willing to mentor and teach skill necessary to maintain equipment after installation.
- Work effectively with others to accomplish organizational goals.
- Ability to interpret electrical engineering issued drawings and trace electrical circuitry
- Ability to interpret various documentation and drawings for electronic, instrumentation and process data. Including blueprints, schematics, Loop drawings, P&ID’s
- Understanding of SCADA and XSPOC systems.
- Strong understanding of Industrial networking practices.
- Knowledge of radio, fiber optic, wired or wireless Ethernet for SCADA systems.
- Required knowledge of Layer 2 and Layer 3 networking.
- Experience with installation and management of fiber optic systems or related devices.
- Experience with Serial and Ethernet both Licensed and unlicensed band radio systems.
- Able to configure and troubleshoot serial devices and Ethernet extender hardware.
- Familiarity with ISP communication devices including cell modems and satellite systems.
- Background or experience with IT or Telecommunications preferred.
- Working knowledge of PLC systems, industry standard communication protocols, such as TCP/IP, Devicenet, Ethernet/IP, Modbus, and Hart
- Able to work in an industrial construction environment.
- Ability to problem solve network issues in harsh environmental conditions.
- Familiar with network test equipment usage and best practice fundamentals
- Must have attention to detail and provide quality workmanship.
- Formal training or networking certification combined with experience preferred.
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Builds Trusted Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Creates Effective Teams
- Thinks Strategically
- Inspires Innovation
- Demonstrates Courage
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Makes Quality Decisions
- Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.