Date: Nov 25, 2018
Location: Houston, Texas, US
ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken unconventional play in North Dakota. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
This position is for an Integrated Petroleum Systems Analyst in Hess’ Gulf of Mexico (GoM) Regional Team and reports to the Exploration Manager, Regional GoM. The successful candidate will be expected to apply fit-for-purpose petroleum systems analysis workflows for the purpose of de-risking opportunities and/or sub-regional analysis of existing or new plays in the GoM. Responsibilities include but are not limited to integrating basin analysis with analog studies, construction of play fairway maps through integration of structural geology, sequence stratigraphy, petrophysics, petroleum geochemistry and petroleum systems modeling, working with reservoir engineers for economic evaluation and ranking, and ability to assume responsibility as integrator across these disciplines is essential. Particular focus will be on leading petroleum systems integration in support of both regional basin studies and acreage evaluations.
The candidate will be expected to collaborate with others in the internal geoscience communities to define and promote best practices within Hess Corporation. He/she will also work directly with business unit teams in exploration and exploitation settings to guide project work and to advise and consult on technical issues and problems. Team-work, consensus-building and communication skills are a must. Mentoring, teaching and supporting generalist staff in petroleum systems analysis workflows and related topics will be required as needed.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Integrate a suite of geological, geophysical, and engineering data to characterize exploration and exploitation opportunities through close collaboration with a team of geologists, geophysicists, and reservoir engineers
- Conduct integrated petroleum systems analysis to assist exploration and exploitation teams in the exploration at the prospect scale as well as perform analysis and synthesis of complimentary datasets at a larger sub-regional scale to provide petroleum systems context for new and existing plays.
- Collaborate within the regional team and across the value chain to carry out petroleum systems analysis
- Carry out quality assurance of geological data.
- Work directly with business unit teams and management to guide project work, advise and consult on technical issues and problems, and develop, deploy and apply value added technologies and best practices.
- Make presentations to Peer Reviews, Senior Management, and partners as appropriate
- Ensure that significant technical learnings, insights and experiences are captured and shared between workgroups.
Key Accountabilities (as needed)
- Technical leadership throughout Hess Corporation
- Active participation in business unit activities and business decisions
- Development, communication and implementation of techniques, practices and workflows that ensure appropriate level of technical rigor and quality
- Interpretation and mapping of regional and prospect scale datasets
- Promote collaboration, multi-disciplinary approaches and integrated solutions to technical and business problems and opportunities
- Support, teach, coach and mentor generalist geoscience and reservoir engineering staff in a way that cultivates and prepares the next generation of technical leaders
- Source rock characterization and mapping, oil and gas characterization, oil-gas-source rock correlations, fluid property analysis and prediction of oil quality, and seal evaluation from geochemical data
- Construct fit-for-purpose petroleum systems models
- Collaborate with geologists, geophysicists, reservoir engineers, petrophysicists, and biostratigraphers in petroleum systems evaluations from regional play analysis to prospect or well specific questions
- Design geochemical analytical programs appropriate for project objectives
- Prepare reports for business units, government entities, business partners
- Present analytical results to business units, business partners, peer reviews, senior management, etc.
- Actively participate in knowledge sharing among petroleum systems core network members and others outside the technical community
- Mentor geologists who are interested in learning integrated petroleum systems analysis
- Actively seek opportunities to apply new technologies
- Ensure newly generated data, historic data, and publicly available data are uploaded to database (with help from database personnel)
- Ensure interpreted data and completed in-house reports are uploaded to the database (with help from database personnel)
- Team-work skills and networking abilities
- Ability to function independently, handle multiple projects and be self-driven
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Appreciation for business and commercial drivers in technically driven workflows
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the petroleum industry as a geoscientist with strong petroleum systems analysis and integration skills
- The successful candidate should be an integrator and have experience in the following fields:
- Petroleum geochemistry: Identification and mapping of source rocks and determination of amount, type, and maturation level of the organic matter; Correlation and interpretation of patterns of petroleum compounds found in subsurface, surface seeps, and outcrop samples; Phase and fluid property and prediction; Evaluation of timing of petroleum migration and assessment of potential migration pathways.
- Petroleum systems modeling. Simulation of burial, maturation of source rocks and generation of hydrocarbons using 1D, 2D and map-based 3D models. Practical evaluation of secondary migration in 2D or 3D.
- Play fairway mapping and play-to-prospect scale risking of exploration opportunities.
- Working knowledge in petrophysical evaluation and reservoir engineering (PVT evaluation of fluids)
- Basic seismic interpretation and subsurface mapping
- Additional skills in the following are highly desirable
- Sequence stratigraphy and structural geology
- Understanding of economic analysis
- Production geochemistry including production allocation and reservoir compartmentalization studies
- Operational geochemistry and development of analytical programs for wells/projects
- MS or PhD in Geosciences in Petroleum Geochemistry or closely related earth sciences discipline
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Builds Trusted Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Creates Effective Teams
- Thinks Strategically
- Inspires Innovation
- Demonstrates Courage
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Makes Quality Decisions
- Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.