LOCATION: Spartanburg, SC
DIRECT REPORTING: Director, Engineering
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for participating in the design and evaluation of small-bore valves and fittings for the instrumentation industry. The Mechanical Design Engineer interacts directly with end users to recommend products and provide technical input on product applications. This position conducts performance improvement and cost reduction activities of existing products as well as lead new product activities using the fundamental principles of mechanical, electrical, industrial or other engineering disciplines. This role interacts daily with in-plant groups to include, customer service, supply chain, quality and operations.
- Work with Engineering Director to develop the technical specifications for fluid control devices.
- Provide design layout, proposal drawing, and models for various fluid control products.
- Lead VA/VE efforts to improve margin: Raw Material, Valve, and Fitting Rationalization.
- Follow through on experimental designs to correct design deficiencies and make improvements
- Release Drawings and Associated Manufacturing, Assembly and Test Documentation.
- Lead small groups of engineers to conduct VA/VE projects, new product designs, and guide engineering projects as directed.
- Provide conceptual design expertise to ensure the continuation of innovation within the business.
- Improve the product quality, functionality and performance.
- Develop testing plans that challenges and proves the design.
- Perform engineering calculations including stress, thermal and tolerance analysis.
- Present new product designs to internal/external customers.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Project delivery – at or within agreed project time-line
- Project costs – at or within budget level
- Support on time delivery – at or above target level
Education & Experience
- Typically requires a minimum level of knowledge that is acquired through a four-year college degree in an applicable field and five years related experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Technical Requirements
- 3D CAD fluency (SolidWorks preferred)
- Knowledge of basic engineering software tools
- Technical writing skills – Assembly and Test Procedures, Design Reports
- Strong verbal and presentation skills
- Familiarity with the following:
- Stress Analysis
- Heat Transfer
- Seal Design
- Torque Design
- Spring Design
- Fluid Mechanics and Flow Calculations
- Structural Mechanics
- Fastening Methods
- Machine Elements in Mechanical Design – Strength of Materials, processing, finish
- Tolerance Analysis – Assemblies
- Compatibility – lubricants, service media, materials
- High Nickel Alloys and Exotic Materials
- Stress Cracking and Corrosion
- 10 years’ experience in design of detail mechanical components. Experience with Small Bore Instrumentation in the Oil & Gas / petrochemical field is required.
- Technical writing experience. This position will be reviewing, updating, and writing Engineering Manual, Product Instruction Manuals, test requirements, and other documentations (required)
- Working experience of Oil and Gas Hazardous Areas requirements and experience obtaining and maintaining certifications with Certified Bodies Agencies (UL, CSA, ATEX, CE)
- Fluent in English to support the US Market (required)
- Mobility & Travel Requirements (domestic/international)
CIRCOR is an EEO Employer of Females/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities