Date: Apr 9, 2019
Location: Houston, TX, US, 77047
Company: Dover Corporation
Dover Precision Components delivers performance-critical solutions for rotating and reciprocating machinery across the oil & gas, power generation, marine, industrial, chemical and general processing markets. Comprising the Waukesha Bearings, Bearings Plus, Inpro/Seal and Cook Compression brands, our portfolio includes hydrodynamic bearings, active magnetic bearings, system and bearing protection, and reciprocating compressor components, each custom-engineered to provide optimum efficiency, reliability and productivity and backed by comprehensive aftermarket services. Dover Precision Components serves its global customer base through facilities in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, as well as technical sales representatives around the world.
This position will be responsible for the interpretation of Engineering instructions and requirements to create highly toleranced, multiple component mechanical designs. Responsible for developing detail drawings based on design layouts & standard drafting practices. He/she will also complete part structures (BOM’s) and item specific information for accuracy of design intent and application specific information. Position requires strong knowledge of contemporary manufacturing methods and will support resolving drawing related questions during the manufacturing process. They will also participate in and contribute to process improvement and design for manufacturability activities as well as in the development and implementation of company-wide design standards and practices that reflect industry best practices and improved efficiency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creation of 2D drawings for associated 3D models.
- Creation of Item and Part Structure (BOM) information within ERP system
- Maintain 3D model and 2D drawing database within Product Data Management (PDM) system via Engineering Change Notice (ECN) process.
- Updates existing drawings to current/best manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with manufacturing personnel and engineering to ensure design requirements are met and the best manufacturing processes are used.
- Provide cross checking of drawings & guidance to other Drafters.
- Provide training on drawing standards.
- Participate in and contribute to process improvement and design for manufacturability activities.
- Support engineering process development and design for manufacturability efforts through specific assignments as directed by engineering management.
- Meet on-time delivery, lead-time, and quality metrics for each assignment.
- Assist with writing engineering standards to document best practices/procedures.
- Responsible for surveying parts upon their arrival, generating and checking manufacturing detail drawings, and entering the required data into the Item Master database.
- Coordinates and works closely with manufacturing personnel and engineering to ensure design requirements are met and the best manufacturing processes are used.
- Updates existing drawings to best manufacturing processes.
- Create a work scope for each assignment and provide to the design manager.
- Knowledgeable in the composition and machining ability of ferrous and nonferrous materials.
- Meet OTD and quality metrics for each assignment.
- Perform checking duties on assembly and component level drawings.
- Responsible for safely handling heavy parts.
- Provide training & guidance to other Designers.
- Review & maintain work procedures.
- Provide information to customer service regarding order status.
- Work with the purchaser to inventory of exotic materials that are in the process of being released.
- Confer with and advise sales of release delays.
- Associates Degree (US) or HND/HNC (UK) in Mechanical/Design
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles and Design Practices
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Skilled in using 3D modeling software
- Ability to teach and train level I and II drafters
- Experience applying continuous improvement techniques to existing processes and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to create ideas and develop solutions
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills and attention to detail.
- Experienced in GD&T.
- Requires the ability to utilize precision measuring and surveying instruments such as calipers, inside/outside micrometers, depth gauges, surface gages, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be willing to work overtime when deemed necessary to support commitments to customers.
- Must be willing to travel to Dover Precision Components manufacturing sites
*Note: This Job Description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying