Req ID 96090BR
Job category Wells
Countries (State/Region) South East
Location United Kingdom – South East – Sunbury
The Senior Drilling Engineer (SDE) is responsible for providing the engineering expertise required to deliver well designs, planning and programmes that meet business objectives, are in compliance with local regulations and in conformance with all BP practices and procedures. The SDE is responsible for working with cross-functional peers in GWO Engineering, GWO Operations, Reservoir Development, GPO and GOO to ensure drilling engineering well planning and design meets all project business objectives.
The SDE supports the Wells Superintendent in execution of well operations by leading delivery of drilling engineering support and assurance. The SDE is expected to provide coaching and mentoring support to less experience DE staff. There will be one role supporting well planning for Angola and one for Mauritania & Senegal.
- Leads the extended well planning team (BP and service) to develop optimal well construction choices to meet programme HSE, performance and life of well objectives.
- Leads communication of well (AFE) and project (FM) cost and performance information to BP Finance and Performance Teams
- Develops and performance manages a single project DE team against single and multiple well project plans involving non-GWO stakeholders, e.g NWD, GOO, GPO.
- Assures and endorses DE single well plans against wider FM or programme requirements
- Technically assures and approves the drilling section of well SOR.
- Develops / technically assures well basis of design documents for single and multiple well construction projects.
- Provides expert support and assurance to DE team for all aspects of the well construction.
- Provides expert support and assurance on offset and benchmarking analysis for input into single well execution programmes and performance plans.
- Provides expert support and assurance on time and cost estimates and leads progress tracking and reporting through to the DETL / DEM.
- Technically assures and endorses drilling execution programmes.
- Provides expert DE input to the development of site work instruction.
- Provides operational support to Well Superintendent and delegates when required.
- Endorses post-job reviews
- Manages CI projects with typically region-wide impact.
- Coaches and mentors DE staff.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering or scientific discipline
Essential experience and job requirements
- Experience in delivering Well Engineering as per the SOR and performance expectations as a Drilling Engineer on multiple well engineering project types;
- Expert knowledge of well design and construction methods;
- Expert knowledge of BP’s engineering tools and principles;
- Experience in supporting drilling operations;
- Expert knowledge in fluids, cementing, casing design and well design implications;
- Working knowledge of completions and workovers design and operations;
- Experienced practitioner in the well construction workflow process (e.g. NWcP) and performance managing DE delivery against project milestones.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Deepwater experience of exploration, appraisal and development operations.
- Experience of new rig start-up.
- Experience in providing technical input to contract strategies and tendering.
Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world’s ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.