date: Nov 30, 2018
location: Richmond, CA California, US
Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Senior Process Engineer (Hydroprocessing) located in Richmond, CA California /United States through March 1, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Chevron is seeking a Senior Process Engineer to work in the Richmond Refinery Process Engineering Division. Chevron is committed to maintaining a high level of technical expertise in the downstream organization to maintain an industry leading position in safe, reliable and profitable operation of its refineries. This position is relied upon for technical expertise to support day-to-day operations, process optimization, process safety improvements and evaluations. This position will report to the technical organization. It is required that the individual have demonstrated expertise in Hydroprocessing. Experience in other processes is beneficial (e.g. Alkylation, Solvent De-asphalting, Hydrogen Manufacturing, Amine/Sour Water, Reforming and/or Crude and Distillation).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Provide local process engineering expertise for Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking units, and other units as assigned. Support requires answering technical inquiries, making technical recommendations, providing process troubleshooting, and developing process procedures.
- Participate in unit optimization teams to work on short and long-term process improvement opportunities.
- Develop procedures and support for commissioning of new facilities.
- Facilitate agreements on operating philosophies and control strategies on plant units.
- Network with other subject matter experts in other facilities to leverage shared expertise.
- Carry out various studies to improve plant safety (PHA), reliability, and economics.
- Help identify gaps between current performance and best-in-class and recommend opportunities for improvement.
- Provide engineering support for capital project development and construction.
- Develop design basis and front-end engineering for minor and major capital projects. Examples include long term capital project vision planning, conceptual project development, technology selection, and detailed engineering.
- Act as mentor/resource for facility process and control engineers.
- Influence and improve work processes for a global technical system.
- Flexible to respond to Refinery and capital project support needs as priorities change with specific business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
- A minimum of 8 years of process engineering experience in the refining industry.
- At least 5 years’ experience in an operating oil refinery.
- Proven expertise in Hydroprocessing. If the candidate doesn’t have experience in this area, the candidate must be willing to learn the new technology. Experience in other technology areas, such as Crude and Distillation, Reforming, Alkylation, Solvent De-asphalting, Hydrogen Manufacturing, and/or Amine/Sour Water is also beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with Operators, Mechanics, Supervisors, and Management to complete projects and tasks on time and on budget to meet the business objectives.
- Proven ability to teach control operators about optimization opportunities and technical issues related to their units.
- Self-motivated with the ability to originate and facilitate the rollout of new ideas.
- Proven ability to step up and take ownership of specific team efforts.
- Proven ability to proactively champion technical issues and see them through to completion.
- Proven ability to handle multiple activities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out customer’s needs and prioritize own work accordingly.
- Demonstrated good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to work well with other Refinery groups in cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical ideas to a wide range of groups within the refinery.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and teach less experienced engineers engineering principles and the use of process engineering tools.
- Proven ability to lead teams and projects often in high profile situations.
- Proven ability to plan and organize projects from inception to start up.
- A minimum of 10 years of process engineering experience in the oil refining industry.
- Operations experience in an oil refinery.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Turnaround planning or capital project work.
- Environmental project impacts and permits.
- Planning/business side of refinery.
- Advanced Process Controls.
- Process simulation software packages (ProII, ProMax, UniSim, HYSYS).
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland