- Provide front-line Remote Sensing consultancy, leadership, technical expertise and project delivery across Shell’s diverse global portfolio of assets and projects.
- Ability to advocate, promote Remote Sensing as a business enabling technology.
- Identifying, understanding and consulting on a wide variety of business challenges and implementing appropriate remote sensing technologies.
- Must be able to independently process Synthetic Aperture Radar and Multispectral Imagery, and know when these different technologies should be used, and how to access the data.
- Develop and maintain Remote Sensing infrastructure and services, both through externally hosted services, and through the provision of locally managed datasets to support web services and ongoing mapping projects.
- Develop workflows and processes for integrating remote sensing data with other Geo-Information data.
- Carry out highly specialist remote sensing projects using internal tools, or via external or Group experts.
- Identify and pilot new remote sensing technologies and make recommendations at Group level. Develop and apply new novel techniques to maximize the business value from remote sensing assets.
- Ensure successful techniques (from pilot projects) are publicized and replicated on other projects in the company to ensure replication of best practices to derive maximum competitive advantage and value.
- Represent Shell as contract representative with key international service providers.
- Actively participate in Incident Response drills and support Incident Response through the use of appropriate remote sensing technologies and be able to integrate these into Shell’s incident response web map portal.
- Ability to think laterally and work on a varying range of challenges. Possibly working on a geological mapping project whilst simultaneously on a project for Shell Trading.
Coaching, mentoring and knowledge sharing
- Supervision and providing technical coaching of first assignees and less-experienced staff to develop their knowledge of, and capabilities in remote sensing, including identifying training courses and working with team leads to ensure training needs are met.
- Sharing knowledge and experiences with the global remote sensing network, keeping abreast of the latest technology developments and recognizing technology gaps.
- Ability to influence a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, and gain respect as the technical authority.
- Global working with peers and project teams, often virtual, in different locations.
- Ability to communicate complicated techniques and processing in clear and concise fashion.
Country of Work Location
Houston – EP Center Americas
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Masters’ degree (MSc) or Doctorate (Ph.D) in a directly-related Remote Sensing or related geoscience technical discipline from a recognized University. Strong academic background in geology (preferably BSc/BS level).
- Minimum (10) years’ experience with Remote Sensing project delivery in the Energy Industry.
- Ability to teach and train colleagues in basic remote sensing workflows and
- Experience with process automation and scripting (FME and Python) is a plus.
- Be able to collaborate with multinational teams to bring complex projects or problems to timely resolution.
No. of Positions
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.