Date: Nov 26, 2018
Location: Houston, Texas, US
ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
The MR&I Instrument, Automation & Control Systems Engineer will be a dedicated resource providing engineering support for the MR&I Surface Facilities Team responsible for brownfield projects and ongoing operations of three Gulf of Mexico offshore assets. Specifically, project engineering development and execution of work scopes related to the automation, instrumentation and control systems for these facilities.
This position is expected to be based primarily downtown at Hess Tower, but it is expected this individual will spend some amount of time traveling to interface with equipment vendors, construction yards and to the offshore facilities to support system implementation, commissioning and startup, as well as troubleshooting and system changes to existing control systems.
- Lead the effort in liaising with vendors, operations and maintenance personnel on project engineering design, construction and commissioning/testing of systems within engineering discipline responsibility.
- Execute role as the MR&I Automation & Controls engineer to develop specifications, designs, cost estimates, bid documents, project schedules, HAZOP/HAZID participation, risk assessments, manpower requirements, preparation of work packs, procedures, training requirements, supervising installation crews, witnessing FAT and SAT, generating as-built drawings, etc.
- Modify, design and implement the Control / Automation Philosophies with input from Operations, Maintenance and existing Hess asset standards to incorporate into all project deliverables.
- Interface with peer MR&I staff responsible for facilities, marine and subsea control systems to integrate and troubleshoot these systems as appropriate.
- Directly manage the selected topsides control system vendor work scope regarding hardware and software deliverables, scheduling, installation, FAT and site commissioning.
- Work with 3rd party vendors to ensure the control philosophy and standard equipment is utilized in their equipment.
- Work with the MR&I team and contractors to develop and ensure that all system Cause & Effect and SAFE charts properly reflect shutdown logic and executive actions to protect personnel safety and assets per regulatory rules.
- Work with MR&I peers to develop and provide input into key LEAN metrics, participate in RCA and A3 problem solving.
- Follow established MOC process to ensure that system modifications are fully documented and communicated at the appropriate level within the organization.
- Ensure that all documents and drawings are kept up to date and that modified/finalized documents are retained in conjunction with Hess Corporation standards as per established protocols.
- Working knowledge of DCS and PLC based control systems; including ESD and Fire & Gas systems.
- Working knowledge of industrial network architecture, servers, and HMI systems.
- Working knowledge of PLC systems, industry standard communication protocols, such as ControlNet, Devicenet, Ethernet/IP, Modbus, and Hart
- Working knowledge of process instrument specifications and technologies
- Working knowledge of subsea control systems and their interfaces to offshore facility topsides
- Working knowledge of regulatory and industry codes and standards for fixed and floating oil/gas production facilities, such as API, ISA, NEMA, NFPA, CFR, USCG, ABS, BSEE, BOEM.
- Ability to read and interpret various documentation and drawings for electrical, electronic, instrumentation and process data, including schematics, datasheets, loop drawings and P&IDs.
- Actively participate in safety program and initiatives
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate both up and down within the organization
- Willing to mentor and teach skills to others that are responsible to maintain equipment after installation
- Highly motivated self starter willing to accept responsibility and accountability and perform work while requiring minimal supervision
- Teamwork – work effectively with others outside the line of normal authority to accomplish organizational goals
- Able to work effectively within a team that is co-located and relies heavily on third party contractors and vendors to provide essential support
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline, preferably in Electrical or Controls Engineering
- Minimum 15+ years of offshore engineering with heavy emphasis on upstream process and/or subsea control systems, automation, and instrumentation
- A strong leader and team player.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team oriented environment.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
Work Schedule and Physical Requirements
- Hess works a 9/80 schedule, but working to complete job tasks as a priority
- Must be able to travel offshore via helicopter and boat. Work responsibilities include staying offshore to supervise activities.
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.