Date: Apr 10, 2019
Location: Oklahoma City, OK, US, 73118
Our core values — integrity and trust, respect, transparency and open communication, commercial focus and change leadership — are the lens through which we evaluate every business decision. As a dynamic, growing company that offers extremely competitive compensation and benefits, our employees are our most valued assets and the foundation of Chesapeake’s performance among our E&P competitors.
This is a senior-level professional position responsible for procuring and managing the companys mineral and lease hold interests for an assigned geographical area by obtaining the legal right to drill oil and gas wells on a specific property.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Verify the ownership of the property where the company seeks to explore for oil and gas by compiling a current ownership report that accurately reflects the title of both the surface and mineral interests of each drilling unit to provide the property interest that is to become the producing asset after successful drilling exploration.
- Acquire oil and gas leases by contacting mineral and leasehold owners to negotiate the purchase of oil and gas leases, or assignments of oil and gas leases to allow the company the legal right to explore and drill for oil and gas.
- Assemble the necessary government permits as required by law to execute a plan of oil and gas exploration by coordinating application before the government agency charged with regulating oil and gas exploration practices in the appropriate jurisdiction. May testify at regulatory hearings as needed.
- Investigate and report the companys ownership position, competitor activity, potential legal issues, or other matters through various channels to top management to aid decision making and strategic planning.
- Maintain outside operated wells where the company has interest by researching the company’s interest should there be a discrepancy, also includes advising the team of new proposals made by outside parties.
- Compile and update land maps that display pertinent land information pertaining to prospects within the assigned area of responsibility to convey current land positions to management at team meetings as well as at management meetings.
- Manage and communicates with field lease brokers for the acquisition of oil and gas leases, lease title take offs, and abstract work. May make recommendations for employment of Brokers.
- Order, review and cure title for the purposes of the wells to be drilled including the formation of units (DPUs).
- Strategize and communicate with representatives from internal departments such as operations landmen, GIS, and Title Specialists to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken to meet the company drilling goals and deadlines.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Job Specific Skills
- Knowledge and ability to apply land management principles including negotiations, contracts, leasing and multi-well drilling rig coordination with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge and ability to apply various laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders and agency rules with minimal supervision
- Knowledge and ability to apply various oil, gas and mineral laws in various states and affiliated oil and gas leases, deeds, and title curative documents with minimal supervision.
- Strong relationship building and ability to proactively structure negotiations that achieve desired results.
- Strong knowledge of oil and gas vocabulary as well as be able to read and understand legal descriptions for a tract of land.
- Ability to manage large amounts of information with accuracy and critical attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of acquisitions and divestiture principles and methodologies and corporate strategy.
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree – from accredited university
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree – from accredited university – Energy Management OR
Preferred: Doctoral degree – from accredited university – Juris Doctorate
Preferred: Other – CPL
Minimum: 5 – 8 years related work experience
Chesapeake Energy takes necessary action to ensure that all applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Chesapeake Energy Corporation’s (NYSE:CHK) operations are focused on discovering and developing its large and geographically diverse resource base of unconventional oil and natural gas assets onshore in the United States.
Nearest Major Market: Oklahoma City
Nearest Secondary Market: Oklahoma
Job Segment: Law, Geology, GIS, Strategic Planning, Oil Rig, Legal, Engineering, Technology, Strategy, Energy